Food for Thought
Lets talk about avocado toast. Avocado is high in protein, rich in Vitamins B, C, E, K, and it's the good kind of fat you want in your body. Although available in cafes and restaurants, I prefer to make this fancy piece of toast at home.
As far as I know, there aren't any rules when it comes to avocado toast. I mean, as long as there's avocado and toast, everything else is fair game.
In my version, I made a Pesto Avocado Toast. The idea originated when I decided to blend fresh basil leaves, a clove of garlic, 1/4 cup of toasted pine nuts, and 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil into a homemade pesto. I was just planning to eat the pesto on top of an avocado as snack, but I decided to take it a step further by mashing the avocado and putting it on a piece of toast with melted Cheezehound Mutzarella. SIDENOTE: Cheezehound Cheeze is handcrafted in the Catskills and it's the best Lactose-Free, Non-Dairy Nut Cheese on the market!
Behold, Pesto Avocado Toast.
Avocado Toast is great for breakfast, a quick snack, or a simple appetizer to put together when you have your friends over! The recipe below is 100% vegan, made with fresh ingredients from my local farmers market. Feel free to get creative with this recipe and have fun!
Pesto Avocado Toast (Serves 2)
- 1 Ripe Avocado
- 1T Pesto (homemade or prepared)
- 2 Slices of Toasted Bread
- 1 Ball of Cheezehound Mutzarella (mozzarella cheese)
- Toasted Walnuts (optional)
- Cut avocado in half, remove pit.
- Scrape avocado flesh into bowl and mix in pesto (add more pesto for stronger flavor). Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread pesto-avocado onto toast.
- Slice Cheezehound Mutzarella and place onto toast.
- OPTIONAL: Add more pesto on top of Cheezehound Mutzarella.
- OPTIONAL: Put pesto avocado toast in convection oven and lightly melt Cheezehound Mutzarella.
- OPTIONAL: Crush walnuts for the WOW factor!
Enjoy your avocado toast!
By Justine Ma (food editor for NY YOGA + LIFE)
Justine is a chef graduate of the Natural Gourmet Institute, the #1 culinary school in the world for health and wellness. Justine is also a Health & Wellness Blogger (food, yoga, lifestyle) hired by SELF MAGAZINE to represent company and writes full-time. Justine has just joined on as an ambassador and Food Editor for NY YOGA + LIFE magazine.