Whether your trying to cleanse your body after a long winter or just wanting to strengthen and stretch the legs, this pose will assist you in boosting your stamina and stimulating digestion.
• Standing poses like this strengthen the leg muscles
• Stretch the legs, knees and ankles while stimulating the abdominal organs, which helps activate your digestive system and aids in eliminating built up toxins.
Revolved Side Angle Pose — How to do it:
1. Start in a standing forward fold (also known as Uttanasana) with both hands on the ground, so you may need to bend your knees.
2. Step your right foot back about 4 feet and place your right knee on the ground.
3. Take your left hand up onto your left thigh and reach your right arm straight up into the air. Take a long Inhale.
4. On your next Exhale, cross your right elbow to the outside edge of your left knee (or upper thigh).
5. Place your hands together in Prayer mudra (Anjali mudra) and push your palms together towards the center of your chest.
6. Continue to breath long breathes as you turn your gaze over your top shoulder
7. Staying here is great, especially if you’re new to this pose. If you want to go deeper, then tuck your back toes underneath and lift your back knee away from the floor.
8. The Final and more advanced refinement is to place your back heel on the ground at a 45 degree angle. Please discern what is appropriate for you and trust that you’re right where you’re supposed to be.
9. Hold for 5 – 10 breath and repeat on other side.