Which is one of the reasons at the end of every yoga class you lie on your back and relax. As simple as this may sound, don’t under estimate the power of simplicity and how transformative 5 minutes of conscious relaxation can be.
Benefits of Corpse Pose
• Calms the fluctuations of the mind
• Reduced cortisol (stress hormone) levels in your body
• Cures fatigue and re-energizes your body
• Teaches you the art of relaxation and allows for you to BE in the moment
How to do it
1. Lie flat on your back in the middle of your yoga mat
2. Place your arms along the side of your body with your hands a comfortable distance away from your hips.
3. Separate your feet wider than your hips and allow for your feet to turn out as they naturally would.
4. Close your eyes and take 5 – 10 long deep breathes. *If you need more direction, inhale to the count of 4 and exhale to the count of 6 (a deeper exhalation will help you relax)
5. Relax all the muscles of your body, including you jaw and facial expression. Let your body sink deep into the floor and observe as you relax, without judgments or inner conversations, just feel.
6. Stay here for 5 – 15 minutes. It’s very common to fall asleep, but please note that this is NOT NAPTIME. This is an opportunity to consciously RELAX, allowing for our nervous to rest and better train ourselves to de-stress.
Enjoy the peace! Om Shanti, Shanti, Shanti!
Yoga videos of live yoga classes available online when you want them. Practice yoga. Anywhere. Anytime. Sign up now at http://yogo.tv/ and receive your first week free!