In this intense seated forward fold you have an opportunity to stretch the back of the whole body from your heels to your head.
How to do it
1. Sit on the floor or in the middle of your yoga mat with your legs straight out in front of you and place your hands on the floor beside your hips. Take 3 deep breathes and settle into your hips.
2. If your lower back is rounding or you feel tipsy in this pose, please place a soft flat block under your hips (or a few folded up blankets if a block is not convenient).
3. Pull your toes towards your knees (flexing your feet) and engage the muscles of your legs by lifting your quadriceps and pushing your legs into the ground.
4. Keeping your legs engaged, take a long inhale and lengthen from your hips to the top of you head, till you feel your lower back draw in.
5. Keeping the length in your spine as you exhale start to hinge from your hips folding forward over your legs. Keep gazing towards your toes and your upper thighs rooted to the ground.
6. Only go as far as you feel a comfortable stretch along the backside of your body and that you can maintain the length in your spine.
7. Hold for 5 – 10 breaths and repeat every week if you can.
You’re never meant to be in the full form of the pose on the first few breathes or even your first few attempts, so take your time (be patient), breath into the pose and respect the resistance you feel in your body.
Yoga videos of live yoga classes available online when you want them. Practice yoga. Anywhere. Anytime. Sing up now at http://yogo.tv/ and receive your first week free!