Balasana - Child's Pose
There are generally a few yoga poses that most people have heard of even if they’ve never done yoga before, Down Dog is an obvious one, but Childs Pose, (also known as Balasana) is a common one too. Here’s why it’s great and worth a try;
- Gently stretches the hips & releases tension in the lower back
- Energetically speaking it allows for internal awareness and time to reflect
- Can stretch the shoulders if arms are over head
- Calms the nervous system, so helps with anxiety & depression
How to do it:
- Start on your hands and knees.
- Separate your knees wider than your hips and bring your big toes to touch behind you.
- Reach your arms out in front of you (forward of your shoulders, still on the mat) and shift your weight back till your bum touches your heels.
- Keep your palms rooted down into the mat while you lift the undersides of your arms up.
- Relax your head between your arms and take 5 – 10 long breathes in and out of your nose.
Yoga videos of live yoga classes available online when you want them. Practice yoga. Anywhere. Anytime. Sign up now at http://yogo.tv/ and receive your first week free!