Essential Oils for Chakra Balance and Healing
The simplest and most direct way to use essential oils is to rub a drop or two, blended with your carrier oil (i.e. coconut or olive oil), onto the skin above the Chakra you wish to treat. Alternatively, you can rub the oils into your palms, then wave your hands through your aura, rather than placing the oil directly on the skin. This will help to disperse any negative energy which has collected in your aura. Swirl your hands first in a clockwise motion, to break up and dispel unwanted energies, then go clockwise, to rebalance your aura. You can also treat your environment, by using an oil diffuser (we love this ultrasonic diffuser by our friends at Saje).
Read below to find out how you can balance you your chakras and find inner healing with these recommended essential oils:
- Root Chakra (Muladhara)
Located at the base of spine in tailbone area, this is where our sense of security lies.
- Use patchouli for an enhanced sense of grounding and stability.
- Sacral Chakra (Svadhistana)
The lower abdomen, about 2 inches below the navel and 2 inches in — our creativity and sexuality.
- Ylang Ylang and sandalwood both act as an aphrodisiac to aid in our sexual and reproductive energies.
- Solar Plexus Chakra (Manipura)
The upper abdomen, in the stomach area — our self-esteem and confidence.
- Use cinnamon to help heat up this power center, or peppermint to cool any excess fire in the system.
- Heart Chakra (Anahata)
Located in the center of chest just above heart.
- The scent of rose is related to our heart, and enhances romance and love. It is also helpful for alleviating depression and insomnia.
- Throat Chakra (Vishudha)
Located in the throat — the center for self-expression.
- Use eucalyptus to help clear sinuses and cure a sore throat or coughing, allowing this passageway to become free and clear for self-expression.
- Third Eye Chakra (Ajna)
At the forehead and in between the eyes is the gateway to our intuition.
- Lavender oil is incredibly calming and great for headaches; a common occurrence whenever your third eye is blocked. We can calm the active mind with lavender to reach a higher state of consciousness.
- Crown Chakra (Sahasrara)
The very top of the head is our universal connection to beauty and spirituality.
- Frankincense is one of the most spiritually-charged oils. It has been around for thousands of years, and brings us mental peace and clarity.