How to make a home meditation space
Having a home meditation space is a great way to stay inspired to take a moment for yourself. We all know the saying, 'Out of sight out of mind.' Visual reminders can be a powerful motivator.
And as it's in our home, we want it to reflect who we are.
A meditation space can be whatever you want it to be. It can start small, and grow as you do in your own personal journey.
Here are a few things you can put into your meditation space:
- Meditation cushion (For sitting on during your practice.)
- Mala Beads ( To either practice with, or have as a reminder of your intention)
- Something to keep you warm (meditation shawl)
- Something green and living (a plant)
- Crystals or sage (to clear the energy in the space)
- A candle (If you practice flame meditation)
- Singing Bowl, bell or symbols for sound (this helps you clear the energy in the space, and also helps cleanse your Mala)
- Affirmation or mantra (To act as a reminder of your intention)
- Buddha or other Dieties (A wooden Buddha, statue of a goddess or deity you look up to)
- Journal (this helps post practice to reflect and close after a sit)
- Timer (if using your Mala beads in your practice, this acts as a natural timer as you go around 108 times. If you use a phone to set a time, turn it to silent and have a gentle sound to signify the practice is over)
Remember — this is a completely personal experience. The area is meant to bring calm and inspire you to connect with yourself. Have fun with it!