Affirmations are positive statements that help to re-wire the brain for positivity, gratitude and love.
They are simple "I Am" statements that we can repeat to ourselves to evoke positive feelings.
Examples include "I Am Love," "I Am Free," "I Am Grounded," "I Am Strong." The combinations are limitless.
When should one turn to an affirmation statement? Well, they are great to use in meditation.
Oftentimes, affirmations come up when setting an intention at the beginning of a practice. (Read: Setting an intention for your meditation practice)
They are also powerful when used as a mantra. A mantra is a string of words that one repeats in meditation. (Read: What's your mantra?)
When using a mantra, it's believed that only the positive intentions and actions will fill your mind and eliminate negativity.
Choosing an affirmation is very simple process, similar to setting an intention:
- First, find a comfortable seat — maybe you’re in your home meditation area (Read: Setting up a home mediation space)
- Next, close your eyes. Take a deep inhale. A deep exhale. With your spine straight, keep taking long inhales and exhales. Make sure your shoulders are relaxed. Your tongue isn’t clinging to the roof of your mouth. Your teeth aren’t clenched. The space between your eyebrows is resting.
- Now ask yourself — What do I need right now? How do I want to feel? What's a word that is meaningful to me in this moment?
- You can also ask yourself: What do I need to release? What is not serving me? What are my limiting beliefs? And you can turn these around into positive intentions.
- On your next inhale, say to yourself "I Am...."
- On your next exhale say to yourself a word that is meaningful to you in this moment.
Whatever comes to you is your affirmation. Let it come with ease.
You now have your affirmation! "I Am.." and include your word.
You can use words like: adventurous, intuitive, patient, balanced, abundant. The options are endless. Simply allow yourself the space and time to reflect on what need in the moment.
To use this affirmation in meditation, you can do the following:
- Inhale "I Am..."
- Exhale your word
Repeating this over and over until your practice is complete.
If you are using a Mala I your meditation, (Read: How to use a Mala in meditation) use your affirmation by repeating your statement on each bead. Inhaling "I Am" and exhaling your word, and then turning to the next bead. Your affirmation has now become your mantra!
You can also simply repeat your affirmation when you are feeling low. Or keep it as a reminder throughout your day with sticky notes, by placing an affirmation card in your meditating space, or by wearing a piece of jewelry that reflects your affirmation.
Affirmations are a simple reminder that "I Am Enough," and that we already embody all we are seeking.