Setting Intentions for 2017
As the buzz surrounding the Holidays dissipates day by day come January 1st, it’s a great time to start planning your goals and dreams for the year to come. Setting intentions at the start of the year is a great way to creatively push yourself towards what you think you can accomplish - even if it doesn't feel right in the pit of your stomach right now - writing your thoughts down will help irrespectively.
We like to begin this process by reflecting on the past year and noting things we accomplished that weren’t planned, or intentionally set-out to do. Did you take up a new hobby? Did you make new friends? Did you travel anywhere new, unexpected and exciting? Write them down! When you’ve compiled the list, it should fill you with pride and the excitement for the year ahead.
What will the same list look like this time next year? What would you like to see written on this very same list next January? Brainstorm by category too if that helps i.e. ‘business intentions’, ‘personal intentions’, ‘relationship intentions’ etc. Or, if you prefer, keep your list broad and just write down whatever comes to your head in whatever fashion it does. Remember, this list is for you and you only - so don’t judge, and be as honest as possible to gather frame your mind effectively for the months to come.
Here’s how to get started!
- Grab a pen and paper. It makes your intentions stick!
- Grab your earphones, press play on your favourite playlist, light a candle, pour a glass of tea/kombucha/wine - whatever you fancy!
- Block off 30 minutes to yourself
- Start writing, brainstorming, scribblin with no judgement whatsoever. The more sporadic the outcome of this practice the better!
- See what happens… Sit with your feelings for a few minutes.
- Decide what feels good in the core of your belly. Decide in that moment that those are the intentions that you want to see come to life in 2017. Don’t worry about the ‘how’’. That will come naturally (trust us).
- Believe that nature will take it's course and you will experience some incredible moments this coming year!
We like to keep the notes we make in a safe place and leave them there for reflection closer to the end of the year. Everything you wrote remains in your subscious so don’t feel obliged to check your list every now and again to see if you’re on track. Trust the universe and what’s meant to happen, will happen.
Happy intention setting!!
The Mala Collective team xo